Monday, January 5, 2009

Why I dropped out of school

KOTA KINABALU, MALAYSIA - Thirteen-year-old Michael Losion works as a greasing-boy for a contractor. The mild-mannered Kadazandusun packs a solid handshake and was proud of the job he got a month ago.

"I help to grease the 'Case' and 'Hitachi'. I hope to become a driver," said Michael, pointing to the bulldozer and excavator that he helps to service as an apprentice to his uncle, the mechanic.

He doesn't want to talk about school. After finishing Year Six at SK Rompon in Tambunan, Michael left school.

"I don't know," when pressed on why he quit, but he pledges to ensure his four younger siblings continue schooling.

Pinda Dula, the village chief of Saliku Sumatalun, a remote Murut village in Pensiangan that takes two days to reach by road, river and footpath from here, offers a reason why rural children in Sabah quit school.

"They tell me they cannot catch up with the other children and feel sidelined."

Majunjum Ambiloh of Lumpagas, also in Pensiangan, said most villages did not have schools.

"We have to leave our children in makeshift hostels looked after by teachers, friends or relatives. Some can go through it but others might not.

"I had to stay with my child for over a month when she started school.

"The school is four hours by boat from our home," he said.

Living in hostels far from home also makes these rural children easy prey for bullies.

Anthony Simon, 19, recalls being bullied when he was at the SM Datuk Peter Mojuntin hostel in Penampang. After Form One, he decided to quit.

"I was beaten up for no reason, mocked by others and did terribly in my studies. I did not have anyone to turn to," he said.

Social worker Henry Kassim, a Murut from Saliku Sumatalun, said he was fortunate to have been "rescued" by a teacher at SM Nabawan, Penampang.

"Bullies forced me to flee the school but a teacher caught me as I was escaping from the hostel and took me to his home.

"Things could have been different if the teacher did not take me in."

New Straits Times

"Respect yourself, respect your time, your resources, your knowledge and your company."

"Nine tenths of education is encouragement." Anatole France

"Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands." Anne Frank

"Your ability to learn faster than your competition is your only sustainable competitive advantage." "快速学习能力会是你竞争所能承受的优势。" "Khả năng của bạn để tìm hiểu nhanh hơn của bạn cạnh tranh của bạn là chỉ có lợi thế cạnh tranh bền vững." Arie de Gues

No comments: